<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 26

Small business marketing: the power of ego 

Anyone doing deals must have the basic prerequisites of intelligence, instinct and savvy, but in my case, I willingly add ego. 
-- Donald Trump

To have ego means to believe in your own strength. So, yes, my ego is big. My ego is responsible for my doing what I do. 
-- Barbra Streisand

Often, people complain of someone else having a big ego. The real complaint, I think, is that the person in question has a bad ego, not a big one.

The dictionary tells us that ego is "the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality."

By this definition, perhaps people in business need more ego, not less!

Other aspects to the definition include "appropriate pride in oneself" and also consciousness of your own identity."

These factors are critical to success in business - and in life! Dr. Michael Ray from Stanford Business School believes that the two central questions that businesspeople should answer to unlock their highest potential are "Who is my Self?" and "What is my Work?"

Looking at the definitions above, it would seem that a healthy (and big) ego is a critical tool in uncovering the answers to those two questions.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?