<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 3

Motivational speaking (NOT!) 

A friend sent me the following email just now:
===
Saw this quotation yesterday and thought of you!

Today's Quote:
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing, that's why we recommend it daily.
--Zig Ziglar
===

Here is my reply:
===
Oh, dear... no, no, no! I am *not* a motivational speaker. And, in fact, I hate that term. Although I appreciate your sentiment, I'd much rather be known as an 'informational speaker', an 'actionable speaker', or a 'practical speaker.'

I'm a big believer that the only person that can motivate you is YOU. Motivation comes from the inside, not from the outside. [If it came from the outside, there'd be no such thing as filing late for tax returns, for example. People that file on time do it because they WANT to, not because the deadline is April 15th and that date happens to be convenient for them. And those that file late would file late no matter what the external deadline was!!]

I try as much as I can to pack my talks, my consulting, and my seminars with valuable, actionable, practical sales and marketing information. If THAT gets people motivated (to act) that's great. But my aim is certainly not to motivate anyone!!

[Stepping off soapbox now...]
===
And, as Forrest Gump likes to say, "That's all I have to say about that."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?