<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 26

Know more vs. Know different 

As I was preparing for a marketing seminar last week, it occurred to me that there are very few people who know MORE than you do. Sure, they might know more in a particular area, but then YOU know more in different areas than they do.

So, perhaps a way to cross-pollinate ideas, surround yourself with "smart" people, and learn from your peers is to seek out NOT people that know MORE than you do - but to seek out people that know DIFFERENT than you do.

When's the last time you spent some time with a college professor? I walk with one on my way to school each morning to drop off my son. When's the last time you spent some time with a storyteller, actor, or improv comedian? Not to hear stories or jokes, but to exchange ideas and think WITH them. Do you know the Guinness Book record-holder for balloon sculptures? I do. He's a great guy. How about a puppeteer? Psychologist? PR guru? Web designer? Pastry chef? IT geek? Nurse?

Talk to these people. Seek out people that know DIFFERENT. Very few people actually know MORE.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?